Preparation time: less than 30 mins
Cooking time: 30 mins to 1 hour
- 225g/8oz unsalted butter, plus extra for greasing
- 225g/8oz caster sugar
- 4 free-range eggs
- 50ml/13⁄4fl oz strong espresso coffee
- 225g/8oz self-raising flour
- 75g/21⁄2oz walnuts (or more if you have loads!)
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- In a bowl, beat the butter and sugar together until very light and pale.
- Add the eggs one at a time to the butter and sugar mixture, beating well to completely incorporate each egg before adding the next egg.
- Add the espresso to the mixture and stir well.
- Add the flour, baking powder and walnuts and stir well to completely combine.
- Spoon the cake mixture into a lined and greased 20cm/8in cake tin.
- Transfer to the oven to bake 40 -45 minutes, or until a skewer inserted into the centre of the cake comes out clean and the cake is golden-brown.
Serve with creme fraiche – delish!